Tuesday 23 September 2008

At last....


A vintage cut of a 1960 Cadillac, some blue and orange stock, a tiny bit of flame-red ink – and we're away! I was so happy to finally print my first "proper" notes on the Chandler and Price, I wanted to jump around.


Unlike last time, I made sure I actually had a good amount of baby-free time up my sleeve to do everything the right way. I even locked up the chase and oiled the press in advance. A note: you can't oil the press too far in advance or the oil will drip out before you get printing – and then you will have climb around the press to painstakingly drip oil into every one of the 30-something obscurely placed oil holes, all over again. You will call yourself bad names.


Here's what the press looks like in action, inking up the plate before the chase is inserted. Why is it a blur? Well, at this stage it was running 18 impressions per minute – too fast! Too fast! I've since fixed the speed issue ... but more on that later.


A first impression on the tympan (above), to help with alignment and placing the gauge pins. You rub that image back with solvent after this impression, otherwise it'll give you a (not-so-) nice reverse image on the back of your lovely cards. And you will cry.

I was completely precise and methodical in my placement of the gauge pins – again, unlike last time – and it made the world of difference. Imagine!


These first cards have gone to Nathan's Dad in Dallas and my Dad in Australia, in gratitude for the untold hours they've both spent working on the Chandler & Price (I owe them so much more, but this is symbolic!) and to Pauline, who's been cheering me on all the way from South Carolina.

Now we're rolling...

7 comments:

  1. Congratulations! You must be so pleased to get to this point. The cards look great! S

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I just say "you amaze me".
    This all looks so difficult and confusing...it reminds me of my loom (that is shamefully collecting dust in our basement). So much hard work! Or are looks deceiving?
    I'm just "very impressed with your press"!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much!

    Yes ... it's actually very involved. It's been a huge learning curve for me, and a real labor of love. I'm hooked now, though, so I don't even notice the hours passing...!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations!! These look great, so much hard work, but its always worth it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool! I love the 'action shots', and what a great vintage image ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! They are beautiful. What fun to work on such an amazing machine.
    Anna

    ReplyDelete