Sunday 11 October 2009

Hatch Show Print

On Friday I drove over to New Orleans to see American Letterpress: The Art of Hatch Show Print at Tulane's Newcomb Gallery.

I was so, so lucky not to miss it, because although it's been at the Newcomb since August I only found out about it on Wednesday. On Twitter, no less! I felt like I'd narrowly escaped massive disappointment – the chances are slim for getting over to Nashville any time soon to see Hatch Show Print "in the wild". This is the closest I'll get for quite some time.

I didn't want to be the obnoxious girl using a flash in the gallery, so yeah – these images are a bit on the blurry side. (Just call it atmosphere, will you?)

It was incredible, inspiring, fascinating. I looked at every print at least twice, while Berry ran around identifying the letter A and the number 4 and any heart shapes she could see. Those were her favourites for the day, go figure...

It was brilliant in every way. I came away completely zapped with happiness and admiration and wishing, for a crazy minute, that I had been born into a printing family that stretched back more than a century.

I absolutely loved it.

For more on the exhibition and Hatch Show Print, visit the Smithsonian site.

No comments:

Post a Comment