Tuesday 16 December 2008

Why we need a Sunday School...


Tried to introduce a bit of the real reason for Christmas to Adelaide this morning. I got about three sentences in before she interrupted, hands firmly on hips.

"Dammit! I don't wike baby Jesus in books! That scary. [Pause.] Baby Jesus is kangaroo? I don't want to wisten to it. It scary."

I clapped my hand over my mouth so I wouldn't laugh, I told her we don't say "dammit" and I said baby Jesus is our friend, not scary. I went to the computer to see if I could quickly find a more effective Christmas story. She sidled up next to me.

"Look mommy – Google! I wike Google."

Sigh.

Helen as a good Episcopalian mother: FAIL.


.

5 comments:

  1. I don't know Helen, I remember when I was a younster having a distinct mental picture of God as a great white shark, and I was attending Sunday school at the time. Probably just as unhealthy. That said, Sunday school, yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought born-again = burned again, and vividly pictured myself in our fireplace at the Mount Cotton house. So I guess I shouldn't be surprised at "Baby Jesus a kangaroo?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I only had pictures in my head of Jesus with lambs and little children. Maybe a Baptist Bible school did it for me?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perhaps you should introduce the beatitudes to her as Jesus' hardline stance against pirates.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now Mark, *you* are a thinker and a schemer. I like it.

    ReplyDelete