Monday 12 November 2007

Surprise!


When I showed him the little window, Nathan put his head in his hands.

"People who are trying to get pregnant would kill for their test to look like that," he said.

"No, look: there are kind of two lines," I said, "but one of them looks like it's just a mark where a line should be, not really a line. So it might be negative after all."

He looked at me with what could have been pity. Or disbelief. "Trust me. You're pregnant."

I sat quite still on the couch in the office, and Nathan turned back to the computer and ordered the lab tests. Then he hugged me and told me it would be okay, and I walked in slow-motion (I'm sure it was in slow-motion) down to the labs.

Having had one baby, I've read my share of pregnancy magazines where women share oh-so-sweet and wholesome stories of how they let their husbands know the happy news: "I gift-wrapped a pair of baby booties and put them on his pillow!" and "I bought a pint of 'Big Daddy' ice cream and taped the pregnancy test to the lid!" (um... ew).

I'm kind of betting they don't want to know about wives who crash their husband's office between patients, with a zip-locked EPT in their purse and a bad case of denial.

I'm also betting, though, that three months into this pregnancy with Baby 2, we're now every bit as happy as the rest of them. It'll be amazing for Berry to have a little brother or sister, and we can't wait to see who this little person turns out to be. 2008 is going to be way more interesting than we bargained for.

Berry loves babies. And that makes three of us.

.

21 comments:

  1. Awwwww, Congratulations! The unplanned is always a surprise, but, you know, the universe has planned it already. :D

    The next 7 months are going to be exciting and wonderful.

    Congratulations again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! Cute story. I work my husband up in the middle of the night both times. We were trying to conceive and I just knew I was PG both times. He was like yeah! then snore, snore. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations. I hope you get used to this quickly. He he All my best xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow congratulations!!!! It will be an awesome adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh YAY! Another baby on the way! Since those years are gone for me I enjoy living vicariously thru all the Moms in blogland. I am happy for you but I have no idea how you will manage to get 2 kids to turn their heads away from the camera at the same time! :)
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have enjoyed reading your blog. As a mother of 5 girls I just loved the whole process of having a baby! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats! ^_^

    We have a few more years yet (crosses fingers) before I have to figure out how to break that news. Given our past history, it will probably be very direct with no real fanfare. We like things simple here. : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. lol bettejo - that will be some feat! i'm still trying to get a photo of my two both LOOKING at the camera! lol

    congratulations helen - it is wonderful news! but i understand your initial shock. our eldest, thomas, was just 6 months old when we got the surprise news of baby number 2 (daniel). we were in shock for a little while, but it's all good - we love them both to bits! surprises are great things :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great story and congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats!

    That is such a great story. I love babies too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. yay! Happy new baby!
    That sounds very exciting.

    side note, I totally agree with you about the Big Daddy ice cream with a side of pregnancy stick. yuck.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! Congratulations!! What a lovely, if surprising, surprise!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. whoa, big news! life is funny, isn't it? am so glad to hear you're excited, congratulations. perhaps i will send you one of your 'happy' elephant cards i have sent to my six pregnant friends! but i'd have to order it from you, and then, well, you might be suspicious. ;)

    much happiness to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations! That's great.

    ReplyDelete
  15. onesmallstar, you make me laugh :)

    And thanks so much everyone!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations! How exciting for you all! Enjoy it xxx

    ReplyDelete