Saturday, 17 January 2009
Letterpress: Red Berries
At last! The red berry letterpress cards I started printing way back in November are finished!
I based the design on this plant by our front courtyard...
...made some sketches one sunny afternoon...
...and after a lot of refining and redrawing in Illustrator, I sent the design away to have plates made.
I printed the red in early November, but I didn't get around to printing the green until mid-December, and I didn't get around to folding and photographing the cards until... well, now.
I mixed the colours myself and printed on 100% cotton Lettra stock on my Chandler & Price 8x12 Old Style. The registration was tricky at first and I had a bit of a struggle with getting the correct roller height (more tape on the rails – no, less – no, not that much less!)
In the end, everything came up roses.