Sunday 9 March 2008

A nearly-bonfire


Our last big bonfire on the beach was pre-Hurricane Katrina, and we had no kids, and it was fabulous. We've always wanted to do it again but we never quite organised ourselves to get a permit. So when Boone and Melissa invited us to theirs, we were keen.

Sadly, the wind and the weather were against us. It was warm all day at our place (and we live less than a minute's drive from the beach) so we were caught completely off-guard by how outrageously cold it was on the beach.


We were shivering as soon as we got there; getting blankets and moving closer and closer to the fire didn't help as much as you'd hope. In light of Berry's recent-and-ongoing sicknesses (and her freezing little clenched fists) we couldn't stay for long.

Berry got a cookie from Melissa before we left, though, so she counted the whole outing as a great success. We took her home and thawed her out, and we'll try the whole bonfire thing again soon. With bigger jackets.

11 comments:

  1. looks like you had a good time! i LOVE LOVE LOVE the beach. i live in florida.... there is a place called mexico beach that my family and i love to go to in the summer. we can't WAIT for summer!

    great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, perhaps another day! And hey, at least there were cookies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. your photos of berry are always adorable. I really enjoy reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope Berry has thawed out and is feeling better. Time passes so quickly, Helen. I was just writing about my son going to Greece; it seems like a lifetime ago that Bob and I were there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwww. You know even though I have lived near the beach my whole life I don't think I've ever been to a bonfire at the beach. Although, we do have them quite regularly at our house.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You didn't have a bonfire, but you got some great pictures! Ten minutes away from the ocean...makes me so sad that I'm so far.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's great how a cookie can cure all disappointments, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. The one with her sunglasses peeking over the blanket! Too much~!
    Hope you have better luck next time.
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  9. hopefully you get to stay longer next time :) sounds like a fun event

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aw, what a shame! But I love how Berry considered it a great success because of the cookies! That is too cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I grew up near the beach, yet I am always surprised by how cold it can be. I am never dressed right.

    ReplyDelete