Friday 8 June 2007

An ending



I'll miss living on base.

I'll miss the warm Air Force neighbourhoods where everyone makes friends quickly and looks out for each other, where kids play in the street at all hours and people leave their cars unlocked, their doors open. I'll miss the feeling of complete security and the sense of community and purpose. I'll miss the playing of the national anthem at precisely 4.30pm every day, when every car stops and every person stands still, turns to the flag and puts their hand on their heart. I'll miss the C-17s overhead. I'll miss seeing people proudly in uniform everywhere I go.

We're in a war I don't agree with, we're being led by people I don't believe in, and I'm not an American citizen – but I'm tremendously proud of the men and women who put everything on the line to serve what I've come to think of as "our" country. And I'll miss living among them.

No comments:

Post a Comment